Thursday, August 14, 2014

August Daring Cooks' Challenge - Freezer Meals

This month, the Daring Cooks challenged us to think inside the box - the icebox, that is! Audax taught us some really cool tips and tricks for stocking our freezers with prepare-ahead meals that can keep our taste buds satisfied even during the busiest of times.

I have a confession to make. And it's a doozy.

This is the first month ever that I don't have something new and original to post for a Daring Kitchen challenge.

It is not that I didn't want to. Or that I wasn't interested. On the contrary - I found the challenge topic fascinating and useful and really and truly perfect.

But this was a difficult month for me to fill a freezer. Between moving and the family being sick, we actually spent more time emptying freezers than filling them.

BUT.

I learned a lot.  And the dishes that our members chose to freeze? Who knew!

You can par-bake pizza dough and freeze it. I knew you could do that with dinner rolls, but never thought to try it with pizza crusts.

One member froze falafel "dough," to speed up the prep time for future falafel-baking endeavors.

You can freeze fruit and veggie purees.

You can freeze a variety of prepared casseroles.

You can freeze soups and sauces.

Heck, during the school year, I prepare a week's worth of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches each Sunday night, storing them in the freezer, so that making little miss's lunch each morning is a snap.

You can pretty much make weeknight meals stress free with just a little bit of forethought and preparation.  And that is awesome.

I was the lucky recipient of some freezer meals when each of my children were born, and have shared prepared, frozen meals for friend when they've had babies or surgery or I felt they needed the time-saving help.

So now, after this awesomely thoughtful, informative and well prepared challenge, I have even more inspiration to fill both my freezer and those of my friends.

Audax, thank you so much for hosting this challenge.

To see the challenge as it was presented, check it out here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails