Thursday, May 1, 2014

Easy Rice Flour Snickerdoodles

So,  a couple of months ago, I made cookies for a new friend as a thank you. Because... it's what I do.

But then I found out that she eats gluten free.

Oops. I mean, she said that her family enjoyed the cookies, but I still felt bad. And told her that I'd take it as a new personal challenge to make yummy treats that she could enjoy, too.

Now, I do happen to have a few gluten-free flours in the house - coconut flour and rice flour.  So, between google and pinterest, I started searching for recipes that I could easily try.

When I came across this recipe for simple rice flour sugar cookies, I thought I'd give it a shot. I mean, it looked super easy and I had all of the ingredients. But I thought I'd take them a step further and turn them into snickerdoodles. I mean... a snickerdoodle is basically a sugar cookie rolled in cinnamon sugar, right? How bad could it be?

Now, when I say that the recipe is easy, I mean it. No mixer needed. One bowl.

Using a spoon, cream together softened butter and brown sugar.


See? Easy! Just make sure the butter is soft enough. Or else you're in for a really good arm workout.


Add in an egg, rice flour and some baking soda and mix again.


And then the dough is done!  Roll the dough into little balls, then roll the balls in cinnamon sugar.


Then bake!

It's that easy.


And guess what? They're delicious! And have a good texture! And you'd never guess they're gluten free!


And the best part? My friend liked them! Woo hoo!

I am definitely looking forward to trying other gluten free recipes - both to share and for us. Because if these are any indication, it's not as scary as it sounds!


Easy Rice-Flour Snickerdoodles
(only slightly adapted from Yummy Laura)

1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1 1/4 cup rice flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 cup cinnamon sugar

Preheat oven to 375 degrees and line baking sheet with parchment or silicone baking sheet.
Cream together the butter and sugar. Beat in egg, then stir in flour and baking soda. Mix until all ingredients are fully incorporated.
Scoop dough and roll into balls approximately one-inch in size. Roll each ball in cinnamon sugar and place on prepared baking sheet.
Bake cookies for 12 minutes until golden.
Cool on cooling rack.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails