Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Biscoff Banana Bread

Biscoff.


Oh, Biscoff.

I've been hearing about Biscoff for a while. It's a spread made from European Speculoos spiced cookies. Yes, you read that right - a spread, touted to be a peanut butter substitute, made out of cookies.  And did I mention that it's vegan and nut free? Totally little man friendly.

I've been hearing about the wonders of Biscoff for quite some time, but never actually tried it.  And still wouldn't have if it hadn't been for the race I ran this past weekend.

What? Cookie spread at a race?

Yeah, at the table where the organizers provided water and bananas for the racers (totally normal), they were also offering... Biscoff. What? Apparently whoever donated the snacks donated jars and jars and jars of the stuff, and the people working the table were trying desperately to offload it. Not at all surprisingly, it's actually quite tricky to give away glass jars of cookie spread at a 5K race. I'm assuming it's for two main reasons: 1) it's cookie spread. Not exactly health/pre-race-energy food 2) it's in jars. Not exactly easy to carry around.  So when the guy at the table noticed me checking out the jars he handed me a case. 8 jars of the stuff.

I was thrilled.  Then made daddy put it in the car, because I wasn't about to run 3 miles carrying it.

But now that it's home and in the pantry, it's pretty much the most awesome thing in the world.

I couldn't decide how to use it first.  I mean, besides eating it straight out of the jar. I mean, we definitely did that a little bit. Or more than a little bit.


But so many creative food bloggers out there have found some super fun ways to incorporate Biscoff into their baking, and I wanted to get started on the fun, too.

After a few clicks, I decided that my first Biscoff baking endeavor would be Biscoff Banana Bread.

This bread came together super easily.

Lots of brown sugar, lots of banana, creamy Biscoff spread... Seriously fun to make.  And soon enough we were ready to bake.


My breads took a little bit longer to bake than the recipe indicated, but they were well worth waiting for.


And can I just say how fun it is to bake with the windows open? While these beautiful babies cooled on the counter, I took my beautiful babies outside to play... and a neighbor asked me what that delicious smell was coming from my windows. Seriously, that feels good.


And it made afternoon snack time a no-brainer! This bread is very good. Lots of banana goodness with the delicious flavor of the Biscoff spread. You can even see a few "swirls" of banana and Biscoff in each slice.


And, in case you're looking to make your snack even more decadent...


...just add more Biscoff!

All I can say is... YUM.  I have a feeling these eight jars are going to go very, very quickly.


Biscoff Banana Bread
(from Sugar Dish Me)

1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
1/4 cup Biscoff Spread or Cookie Butter
3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 medium bananas, mashed
1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt

Pre-heat oven to 350 and spray two loaf pans with nonstick cooking spray.
In a large bowl (I used my KitchenAid mixer) cream the butter and Biscoff Spread. Add the sugars and continue to beat. Beat in the eggs one at a time. Mix in the vanilla.
Add in the flours, baking soda, and salt and mix until just combined.
Fold in the mashed bananas.
Divide the batter between the two prepared loaf pans and bake for 30 minutes. Check them at the 25 minute mark– a toothpick inserted into the center should come out clean. Mine actually needed about 35 minutes.
Let the loaves cool for at least 5 minutes (or completely) before turning them out of the pans.
For a really decadent treat, serve with more Biscoff Spread!

Enjoy!

7 comments:

  1. I don't know... I think you should of ran with the case of Biscoff... you probably would of made the paper ;) "What happens when a food blogger runs a race" :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh. My. Gosh. That's actually a really funny idea. Can you imagine??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh oh oh! I'm so jealous! 8 jars! Speculoos spread has ONLY just become available over here and it was the happiest day of my life (I'm only slightly exaggerating). I'm addicted to the stuff. It's really good with french toast and bananas - goes all gooey! And yeah, one of my favourite treats is to eat it with a spoon from the jar with a cup of tea on the side.

    I tried a speculoos banana loaf once & disappointingly couldn't really taste the spread, so I'll definitely give this one a go. It looks great. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Biscoff is still not availble here and sometimes I think that may be a blessing in disguise. The stuff looks dangerously addictive :)
    If I ever find some, this banana bread is on the top of my list

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sawsan, I'm so tempted to ship you a jar... :)

      Delete
  5. I had never heard about Biscoff!!! I think i've been out of the blogging world for too long, sounds really good, will have to try it if I find it in Spain!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I ate a whole jar of Biscoff in two days about 5 months ago. It was then I knew I had to keep it out of the house. Now that I'm drooling over your banana bread, I think it's time for another jar. It looks too good not to try :) xo Miss you!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails